Today, let’s talk about a few simple things that we can do in the kitchen to help take care of our planet. I don’t know about you, but it terrifies me to think about the future of our planet with so much waste we throw out on a daily basis. Wouldn’t you want to take action or maybe switch to products that work with organizations like the WWF who aims to protect Mother Nature? Below I’m sharing 5 simple kitchen tips to remind you of the little things that you can do to contribute!
5 Kitchen Tips to Help Take Care of Our Planet
- Reuse – reusing bottles, sprays, cups, and whatever you can reuse will help reduce the amount of trash in landfills. That’s why I’ve made it a point that when buying certain things, I go for containers or packaging that I know I can reuse. Take for example, when purchasing candles, I opt for lovely ones that I know I can reuse as flower vases as seen below.
- Reduce – you know it – reuse, reduce, and the next one is recycle. But let’s talk about simple ways on how you can reduce the waste you contribute to Mother Earth. If you can find products that can help reduce your trash, all the better. Like right now, I’ve found and have been drinking coffee in pods that are not made of plastic. Instead, they are compostable. I know there are still coffee brands and flavors that I will occasionally crave. But reducing that is already a step towards reducing our trash. That’s just one example. Reducing the use of disposable items will also greatly help.
- Recycle – of course, recycling is another way for you to help the environment. I’m glad that one of the coffee brands that I love offer complimentary shipping labels and packaging. So I can ship back the used coffee pods for recycling. Also, don’t forget to recycle those weekly ads and papers you get in the mail. Those small things can add up!
- Aside from the three R’s, I encourage you to opt for safer cleaning products that are not only safer for you, but also safer for our planet. Read the labels. Know the chemicals that are in the products that you use in your kitchen, and in your home in general. If you can go for natural ones, the better.
- Last but not the least, choose brands that are as passionate when it comes to protecting our planet. For 50 years, WWF (World Wildlife Fund) has been protecting the future of nature. They are the world’s leading conservation organization. So it’s good to know which companies they work or partner with, or what brands they recommend. Recently, Kimberly-Clark Corporation, WWF, and Forest Stewardship Council® (FSC®) announced a unique 3-year agreement designed to raise awareness of the importance of choosing products that use fiber from responsibly managed forests. If you look at some of the paper products in your home, if they have the FSC® label, than that means they have a “gold standard” in forest certification. That gives you an assurance that the products come from responsibly managed forests that provide environmental and social benefits. Viva Vantage is one of them. So I just made the switch myself! Check your paper products if they have the #HeartYourPlanet or FSC logo in them! If not, please consider making the switch to.
By the way, you can shop these Kimberly-Clark products at Amazon and take advantage of special coupons and the convenience of purchasing with their Subscribe & Save. You can save up to 15% when you subscribe to 5 or more products too.